Wednesday, October 9, 2013

It's just so tedious...

... and I'm just so slow.

There are many tedious things which I do not mind doing. I secretly enjoy bookkeeping, paying bills, putting away groceries, and even doing the dishes so long as time is in on my side. Tedious schoolwork I enjoy, it's a challenge for me. And when, at work doing a hair color, I put scores and scores of foils in people's hair, they never fail to mention "that looks so tedious!" to which I reply "it's just like doing needlework". And it is, and I do genuinely love it. There is something to be said for the comfort found in repetition. 

That being said, there are some things that are tedious which I do not enjoy, and my most loathed of these is cleaning. I hate cleaning. I'm a messy person by nature who needs a clean house in order to keep a clear and sane mind. However, I absolutely hate cleaning. I move too slow, I'm too much of a perfectionist, I get distracted, and I'm allergic to everything so I sneeze and drip the whole time I clean. 

I've tried everything to make the tedium of cleaning less painful - cleaning with friends, listening to music, breaking it up, doing it all at once, watching movies while I clean, and on and on - and yet, though I always enjoy the feeling of satisfaction at the end, I cannot seems to figure out a way to hate cleaning less. Is there always a way, you think, to make yourself enjoy the tedious things in life? Perhaps time would help me, because that usually is the big stresser there - too much to do and not enough time so the thing you despise the most moves to the bottom of the list and you despise it even more for being there. 

You know my plan to someday rid housecleaning of its tediousness? Pay someone else to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment