Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hugging a Tree with My First Memory

"Though wisdom is common, the many live as if they have wisdom of their own"
"the way upward and the way downward is one and the same."
 - Diels, Hermann; Burnet, John Translator. "Heraclitus 139 Fragments" (in Greek/English).
   (taken from TS Eliot's "Four Quartets")


This is me hugging a tree. It's a giant tree in my new backyard (I just moved in last weekend) and I love it. The house was built in 1906, so I assume the tree is just about as old, and I love anything with that much history. I wonder how many people have sat under it, or how many birds have nested in it, how many squirrels have made it home...

A score and three years ago, when I was only about four years old and in preschool, I cracked an egg on the counter too hard and it broke. We were making cookies together in preschool and I made a mess on the counter and remember being so bummed because I had cracked them successfully before. This is the first memory I can recollect. 

Isn't it interesting the things that stay with us?

2 comments:

  1. I find it curious that your first memory is breaking an egg on the counter, and yet you say you can remember cracking them successfully before...
    Are these previous successes less substantial than real memories? Or are they just a part of the feeling of that original one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Ian! I do not actually remember cracking an egg before this time, I just remember knowing that I had before and that's why I was so disappointed.
    I have other memories from around this age but the rest all come with stories and pictures, so I figured this one is a more true, raw memory.
    Isn't is interesting the things that stick with us?

    ReplyDelete